Tuesday, December 10, 2013

More Games!

Well since I wrote one review, why not another?

Another inspiration for me to start working on my own games are the people over at Pastel Games.  They've made a few generic, but very cute point-and-click escape games, but what originally got me following them was their Daymare Town series.  Seriously, just open one of those games and look at it.  They're set in this Dr. Seuss-like world, all the art is just hand drawn, plain black and white, but so wonderfully weird.  It's the minimalistic soundtrack, though, that makes the games just a bit unsettling (in a good way).  Be warned, like a Seuss story, the games run on their own weird logic, so don't feel bad if you have to refer to a walkthrough to finish.  I'm more appreciative of the art than the gameplay anyway-not that it's bad, that's just my taste.

But they have quite a few more series that kept me hooked.  The one I'm most crazy about right now is The Fog Fall, a story-based adventure game set after a nuclear war.  Can't wait for the next in this one!  There is a larger story to it, but we have to take our time getting there.  In the meantime, I appreciate the visuals of the world growing feral, the characters we get to meet along the way, and the lonely mood.

As I said, they've got quite a variety under their belt so try to check out more than what I've mentioned here, but one thing I always look forward to when playing a Pastel Game is the atmosphere.  This is especially true of their more serious games; the world of the game feels real, it's all around you, but you just can't see it all.  That feeling just makes their creepy series all the more satisfying to me.

C'mon, the winter break is coming, so check out Pastel Games when you have the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment